The Measuring the Australian Night Time Economy Report covers the 2021/2022 financial year and, despite the impact of Covid restrictions during part of this period, results for Sydney’s night-time economy are encouraging.
Highlights for Sydney include:
- Overall establishments grew by 17% from pre-pandemic levels to 5,941.
- Accommodation grew by 19% to 557 establishments.
- Retail increased by 6% to 2,678 establishments.
- Leisure and entertainment grew by 14% to more than $1.2 million.
- Food businesses grew by 4% to 4,088.
- Drink businesses grew by 10%.
- Employees working in the food sector rose by 7% to almost 21,000.
We know our hospitality industry is still hurting from the impact of lockouts and lockdowns, but it’s heartening to see the trajectory of these results – we want to keep our city safe, open, and fun for everyone at all times of day, and create a nightlife we can all be proud of.
Feature image by Jane Dempster.