Our Crown Street upgrade will soon begin!
This important project will make one of our best high streets greener, safer and more attractive while creating new opportunities for local businesses.
We spent the last six months consulting with businesses and residents, tweaking the design to respond to concerns and feedback, and the final project scope has just been passed by Council.
The improvements include:
- removing timber electrical poles and placing overhead electrical cables underground
- new multifunction smartpoles with LED streetlights
- installing new footpath where there’s currently pop-up alfresco dining
- footpath widening, kerb upgrades and pedestrian ramp upgrades
- new garden beds along the street, new bubblers, bike racks and seating
- 40 new street trees
- No net loss of parking
Excitingly, the upgrade will also create a blueprint for how we can make temporary on-street dining spots permanent where appropriate – with open, paved spaces bounded on all sides by trees and plants.
This will create inviting, multi-use spaces where people can walk and gather when they are not being used by businesses.
Construction will start at the Oxford Street end and be completed in discrete sections to minimise disruption to businesses.
We can't wait to get started!